Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My First Sub


Today, I experienced working with my very first substitute. It was a pleasant surprise that it just happened to be my supervisor's husband who has taught for many years in the district and retired just last year. It also made me a little more than nervous. My supervisor is basically the person who determines whether or not I get my teaching license. With that in mind, my best "teacher" behavior became my best-best teacher behavior.

So, the sub walked in and asked me if I wanted to take the reins and be lead teacher. THAT was fun! I'm always a little afraid to take over with my M.T. in the room because I don't want to step on toes. But once I got over the prevailing thought that if-I-mess-up-my-supervisor-will-find-out, I think I did okay. It was nice to be able to make announcements without feeling like I needed to ask first.

And the coolest thing happened after the sub taught a lesson that my M.T. had asked him to teach. Well, two cool things happened. One, the students came to me almost exclusively to ask questions. I really was The Teacher for the afternoon. And two, the sub taught the kids a lesson on writing personal narratives. When it was time to go to recess, one girl asked me if she could stay in to continue writing. I said that anyone that wanted to was welcome to stay in. Five or six kids stayed and wrote the whole time. They were so excited to write - they wanted to submit their writing to a publishing company. It was such a cool moment for me to see.

Anyways, here's the OOTD:


Pants: Anthropologie
Shoes: Nine West (not pictured; they came off as soon as I stepped through the door)
Necklace: Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment